Re: [openpgp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-openpgp-crypto-refresh-02.txt (fwd)

2021-02-23 10:11:00
I'm confused by this text. If an implementation chooses to process this packet type (e.g. I have 20-year-old PGP-encrypted messages
that I'd still like to be able to read without re-encrypting them),
why are you saying that it should return an error and stop
processing? So it MAY process but SHOULD stop processing?  I'm
confused.

"MAY process but SHOULD stop" is the way I'd read that guidance:
although a conforming implementation technically may process the packet,
it should not do so absent a compelling reason.

Perhaps this text instead?

"This packet is obsolete.  An implementation MUST NOT create this
packet.  An implementation MAY process such a packet but it MUST
return a clear diagnostic that a non-integrity protected packet has
been processed.  Unless the user explicitly directs otherwise, the
implementation SHOULD also return an error in this case and stop
processing."