Re: [openpgp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-openpgp-crypto-refresh-02.txt (fwd)

2021-02-26 20:44:42
On Tue 2021-02-23 08:15:06 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
   Implementations SHOULD generate V4 signatures.  Implementations MUST
   NOT create version 3 signatures; they MAY accept version 3
   signatures.

As Paul and Werner both noted, this is a hiccup in the transitional
nature of the document.

I've flagged it as https://gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis/-/issues/15
so that we don't lose track of it.

There is no MUST create version.  Is this intended to change?

fwiw, (no hats on) i'm not sure that "MUST create" is the right wording
ultimately.  We want "MUST be able to create" or "MUST create [in some
specific context]" but i can't see requiring creation of a signature
type without one of those caveats.

Later (5.8):

   This packet is obsolete.  An implementation MUST NOT create this
   packet.  An implementation MAY process such a packet but it MUST
   return a clear diagnostic that a non-integrity protected packet has
   been processed.  The implementation SHOULD also return an error in
   this case and stop processing.

I'm confused by this text.  If an implementation chooses to process this
packet type (e.g. I have 20-year-old PGP-encrypted messages that I'd still
like to be able to read without re-encrypting them), why are you saying
that it should return an error and stop processing?  So it MAY process but
SHOULD stop processing?  I'm confused.

I've recorded this as
https://gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis/-/issues/16 and mentioned
Robert's suggestion of how it could be re-phrased.

         --dkg