RE: Some comments on draft-beck-opes-esfnep-01.txt

2000-12-05 11:59:02
At 21:18 12/4/2000 -0500, Markus Hofmann wrote:
Ian,

But if we want to move away from a web centric
view anyway, we should also move away from the term "proxy"...

Comments on the fact that we might be better off with "intermediaries" aside, "proxy" shouldn't tie us to a web centric view, surely.

> I'm not suggesting it's the best model, but one
> possibility is simply to parse "comments" within the
> HTML/XML.

That's basically what we meant with "The proxy could for instance scan
the Web page for a specific marking (e.g. a special tag)". A "special
tag" could be a special comment, for example. The drawback of this
"proprietary" solution is that it requires an agreement between the
content provider and the ad insertion service - both sites have to
agree on the "special comment", and an ad insertion service provider
would have to make this sort of agreement with every content provider
(and would have to provide a corresponding parser). This is where sort
of a "standard model/tag" would make sense.

But since you are modifying either the content providers content, or the advertisement company's ads, you will have to have some kind of business agreement with them. So I don't see that it's of particular concern knowing "what to look for". The issue is perhaps the optimization of the parser - if there's some kind of "standard" then the proxylets would likely be more efficient. I'm still not sure that ad/content folks would want to make it so easy for ad strippers to do their work though.

> Sections 6 and 7, in my mind, discuss very similar things.

They are similar, but NOT the same. Section 6 talks about adaptation
for different devices, while Section 7 talks about adaptation for
different bandwidths.

Hmm, true, but the examples aren't particularly clear in that respect. There's a lot of duplication that *suggests* they might be merged.

> And in fact, section 7 doesn't consider the important
> aspect of  bandwidth adaptation where there's actually
> *more* bandwidth (where richer interaction could be
> provided).

Hm, *adding* content due to availability of additional bandwidth seems
to be much more difficult than *stripping* content. I can't see a
business model for that right now, but we migth include it for
completness.