Re: Charter updates, changes, etc.

2001-03-28 12:32:15
At 11:47 3/28/2001 -0700, Hilarie Orman wrote:
IETF discussions of copyright interpretation are usually ratholes,
let's try not to go there directly, but sort of glance along the
side with things like "pragma no opes" or "use explicit
opes service only" or "opes service must be signed
by provider domain" or other things.

I'd mostly agree with that; this is one of those interesting areas where you can abuse the technology in some wonderful ways if you don't care about the law.

I'm not so keen on the notion of the "pragma no opes" - I'd prefer explicit prohibition of modification unless otherwise noted (though obviously there will always be someone that'll break that rule anyway). The implications of doing a transformation are somewhat greater than of caching without authorization, and I think we have to consider that in our design decisions.