Re: Request for Comment: Elapsed-Time as Event in OPES/ICAP

2001-03-30 11:10:49
It's not really independent of the protocol.  There's an
assumption in iCAP that the information is related to the
transit protocol.  Here, we have environmental information
not necessarily tied to any proxy protocol processing
point (PPPP).

Per user state is definitely possible and scalable in OPES
devices.

Hilarie

Markus Hofmann <hofmann(_at_)bell-labs(_dot_)com> 03/30/01 07:53AM >>>
Derek,

A function that could prove helpful is to measure the elapsed time between
ICAP callouts to ensure a minimum interval.

This function can allow the opportunity for individual users to be
redirected via ICAP at certain intervals that can be set in a rule.

That's something to be considered in the context of rules and is
independent from the callout protocol (e.g. iCAP). The rule language
(e.g. IRML) would have to offer support for such a feature, which
probably is not a big deal. However, the OPES device would have to
maintain state on a per user basis, which might not be very scalable.
If there's a need for such a feature and people believe it can be
implemented, our framework should provide the hooks for it. Any other
opinion?

-Markus