Re: draft-beck-opes-irml-02.txt

2001-11-27 15:18:31

"xing xie (Intl Staffing)" wrote:

Hi,
I have a question about the "protocol" Element.

I think it should located in the "rule" element instead of the
"ruleset", since one user may define rules for several protocols,
while  usually only one ruleset is allowed.

Are you suggesting to allow a rule to apply to more than one protocol or
to allow rules for different protocols within the same ruleset?

I am not sure how much sense it would make to allow a single rule to
apply to more than one content path protocol as the rule properties will
most likely be different for different protocols. Also, we were assuming
that a service application can typically only handle messages of a
specific protocol.

I do agree, however, that rule authors should be able to submit rules
for different protocols. According to the current draft, they would have
to submit multiple rule modules - one for each protocol. So maybe it
would be a good idea to allow multiple "protocol" elements inside a
ruleset and stick all applicable rules in the corresponding "protocol"
element. Alternatively, we could generally allow multiple "ruleset"
elements within one rule module each pertaining to a different protocol.

Other comments?

-Andre