RE: Draft on Callout Protocol Requirements

From: Phil Rzewski [mailto:philr(_at_)inktomi(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 11:34 AM
To: Penno, Reinaldo [SC9:T327:EXCH]
Cc: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Draft on Callout Protocol Requirements

<snip>

In brief, we know that in the routed world, once you put two
host machines on
the same ethernet wire, you technically have a "network". As
"networks" go,
it's on a whole different scale than one operated by AT&T or
the IT department
at your local enterprise, but this is why we have terms like
"public backbone
network", "LAN", "VPN", etc. Similarly, we would argue that
once you add ANY
proxy ("forward" or "reverse") you have created a type of
Content Network.

okay, I can agree with that since it actually adds to my point that to have
OPES you only need
IP connectivity, nothing else. You do not need an CN (and not by a long shot
a CDN) overlay network in place BEFORE you install OPES devices.

You end up having a CN (not an CDN) overlay network AFTER you install an
OPES device.

regards,

-Reinaldo