RE: Draft on Callout Protocol Requirements

2001-11-28 12:21:57

OK, it looks like the confusion here goes back to assumptions of what the phrase "IP connectivity" means - something I decided to not comment on earlier.

The point seems to be that you either have a content network in place before you overlay an OPES environment on it, or that you install a content network by installing an OPES environment box or boxes (the confusion here can probably summarized as "what is OPES?"). In the latter case, so far as you "only need IP connectivity" to do this, you're pretty much right. But I don't think you can have OPES services without having some application layer intermediary/host on which to run them. For example, my initial take on the "only need IP connectivity" point suggested you might be thinking of putting OPES services in something like a (L3) router... which is a big no-no.

Sent: Monday,
> November 26, 2001 11:34 AM
> To: Penno, Reinaldo [SC9:T327:EXCH]
> Cc: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
> Subject: RE: Draft on Callout Protocol Requirements

<snip>

> In brief, we know that in the routed world, once you put two
> host machines on
> the same ethernet wire, you technically have a "network". As
> "networks" go,
> it's on a whole different scale than one operated by AT&T or
> the IT department
> at your local enterprise, but this is why we have terms like
> "public backbone
> network", "LAN", "VPN", etc. Similarly, we would argue that
> once you add ANY
> proxy ("forward" or "reverse") you have created a type of
> Content Network.

okay, I can agree with that since it actually adds to my point that to
have OPES you only need
IP connectivity, nothing else. You do not need an CN (and not by a long
shot a CDN) overlay network in place BEFORE you install OPES devices.

I'm not sure how you get that from what I said, though maybe I'm failing
to understand something. Back when I was first tracking OPES, the
services were assumed to be provided by either proxylets or callouts to
external boxes. The device that was making those callouts or calling
those proxylets was typically described as being a surrogate or proxy of
some kind. If that's still true (is it not?), then by my definition, you
WOULD have a Content Network before you layer OPES proxylets/callouts on
top of it.

You end up having a CN (not an CDN) overlay network AFTER you install an
OPES
device.

This I'd agree with, but I'm agreeing with the literal statement. :)
That is, I'd say that any network that contains OPES services is a
Content Network (I think it had to be before you added the OPES services,
even). It may be a CDN, since a CDN is just a specific type of Content
Network. That's determined by whether it contains components like
distribution, request routing, etc.

--
Phil Rzewski - Senior Architect - Inktomi Corporation
650-653-2487 (office) - 650-303-3790 (cell) - 650-653-1848 (fax)