RE: Draft on Callout Protocol Requirements

From: Maciocco, Christian
[mailto:christian(_dot_)maciocco(_at_)intel(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 2:22 PM
To: 'Ian Cooper'; ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Cc: Phil Rzewski; Penno, Reinaldo [SC9:T327:EXCH]
Subject: RE: Draft on Callout Protocol Requirements

I agree with Ian. An OPES service needs to be explicitely
requested and must
not brake the end-to-end connection. The place to do this is
on proxies the
client connects to, where the connections are terminated.

I don't see OPES services working out of an L3 sniffer kind of device.

Right, but that doesn't mean some vendor will not do it. OPES is a logical
entity, it can run in an appliance or in a router. It can run in a
edge/access router (or even in a DSL Router in somebody's home) and still
meet all the requirements.

regards,

-RP

Christian