Re: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-opes-architecture-00

2002-05-21 13:21:49

Graham Klyne wrote:

In which case, I don't think that's an adequate level of tracing capability. That is, I don't think it fully addresses the spirit of the IAB requirements.

I refer you to the example I mentioned, of a problem with an ISP's transparent caching. I don't think it's acceptable that only the ISP's administrator can find out what happened, because in practice the ISP won't bother and will spin some lie about it being (say) a browser problem.

I think it's crucial to put diagnostic capability in the hands of the endpoint on whose behalf (authority) the service is being performed. (Even if the endpoint isn't given any choice about having the service.)

I agree with your statement that OPES must give the enduser the capability to figure out what's going on and what might have gone wrong - it is *not* the intent to block this information from the enduser and to provide it only to an administrator.

However, it might be ok to present this information in a form that might require a little bit more knowledge to interpret correctly, and it might not be shown to the enduser per default. I've the email system in mind - the email headers provide the information I need in order to determine which servers where involved. However, this information is not really intendend to be seen by every beginner or every home user. However, if there's a problem, you can look at the details and maybe ask somenone (your administrator?) to help you understand. I had something similar in mind when talking about OPES tracing.

-Markus