RE: Start on OPES protocol work

2003-02-17 04:03:22

Hello Martin,

I guess that a server could also end a transaction early for security
reasons...say, wouldn't sequence numbers + handshake + timers
policy ala TCP
take care of this. It seems to me ( if I captured your
thoughts right) kind
of the same problem we have in TCP when one end closes a
connection and
there are still packets in flight.

regards,

Reinaldo

Hi Reinaldo,

the sequence number helps if we can also settle these requirments:

- each application message's fragment comes with its own sequence number

- there is a way to determine that a new sequence for a new callout
  transaction on the same callout connection starts, e.g. by also
  assigning a second sequence number to callout transactions.

(This is the "channels" concept? Or didn't I get it still?)

The important difference to TCP is that we want to finish a transaction
but keep the connection alive.

Regards
Martin