RE: Start on OPES protocol work

2003-02-17 04:08:36

hilarie,

if u fo to the www.ietf-opes.org it will direct u to the new site
(transparently).

agree, it serves as a reasonable starting point.
The focus of the work was how to SOAP an OPES callout protocol (extensions
were proposed over HTTP). However, our approach will be different if we use
SOAP as the callout protocol.

abbie

-----Original Message-----
From: The Purple Streak, Hilarie Orman
[mailto:ho(_at_)alum(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 6:41 PM
To: Barbir, Abbie [CAR:1A00:EXCH]
Cc: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Start on OPES protocol work

Thanks for the explanation of what happened to the BOF-era
material; my bookmarks to it no longer work, so it was
confusing.  I see that it is on the new webpage, under "non
WG".  It's really a shame, though, that it wasn't possible to
make the ietf-opes.org domain work transparently. Overall, I
think that in a practical sense, interoperability on the
Internet is being badly eroded, but that's a rant for another place.

I see that we already have a draft about using OPES and web
services in that non WG area:
http://standards.nortelnetworks.com/opes/non-wg-doc/draft-rrah
man-web-service-00.txt

I think it probably serves as a reasonable starting point for the part of
the discussion, though it seems long on format and short on motivation. It
also seems to be proposing extensions to SOAP in order to provide random
access to message parts.  Is that right - SOAP messages don't normally use a
manifest?

Hilarie