Re: SMTP filtering use case

2003-02-17 12:25:23

Your filtering example is based on delivery to an SMTP server that
knows that the recipient of the single message is actually an alias.
The OPES service must know the expansion of the alias to the 20
recipients (any one of which could actually be an alias for another
list).  This means that the SMTP service and the OPES service are very
tightly coupled.  As I said, I'd always assumed that the OPES processor
would have the user preferences, and that's the whole reason for the
rules, etc., and for having the OPES processor be the enforcement point
for privacy policy.  But, I guess that assumption is open to debate.

But there's another reason that I'm still not convinced that this SMTP
example applies to OPES.  If this service and all the user preferences
are handled by a callout server, there's no reason that the callout
server cannot just forward the transformed SMTP message to a real SMTP
server for final delivery.  Because SMTP is a store-and-forward
service, not end-to-end, this works better than OPES would - there's
less I/O involved.

Hilarie