RE: SMTP filtering use case

2003-02-18 12:19:27

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, The Purple Streak, Hilarie Orman wrote:

It's very difficult to satisfy the IAB concerns by saying that
callout servers will handle all policy - we aren't specifying the
callout server applications.

We are specifying the protocol the OPES server MUST implement to be
called an OPES server. Our protocol may specify requirements that can
only be satisfied if OPES processor and OPES server work together and
do not violate each-other assumptions. That approach can both satisfy
the IAB concerns and allow for different implementations/integrations
of processors and servers to exist.

In other words, ideally, we should only care about the visible
end-to-end effect (the black-box approach) of a compliant
processor+server combo, not about what a particular OPES processor or
server may end up doing to satisfy our MUSTs.

I think that scenarios which can be satisfied by a switch are just
fine, but if they can be deployed today without any new protocols,
then they aren't topics for discussion in this WG, except as
negative examples, i.e., "you don't need OPES for that".

If they are deployed today without OPES, they will violate IAB
concerns/requirements. That is why we are chartered, in part, to
produce a new protocol that addresses IAB concerns.