Re: OPES protocol, pre-draft

2003-02-19 12:55:08
On 18:46 19/02/03, Alex Rousskov said:
jfc,

We are talking about two different things here. You are
talking about directing application messages to appropriate callout
servers. I am talking about [re]directing application messages to
different data consumers.

For example, an HTTP request for www.w3c.com can be redirected (by the
callout server manipulations of HTTP headers and meta-information) to
www.w3.org. Another example: an e-mail to managers(_at_)example(_dot_)com can be
redirected (by the callout server manipulations of SMTP headers and
meta-information) to ceo(_at_)example(_dot_)com _and_ to
officers(_at_)example(_dot_)com
(producing two application messages).

Oh! sorry. Just followed my own idea and I did not make it clear enough about transaction/cession. I do not make any difference between OPES processor and server and possibly clients. See my other mail. I consider dispatchers and services. I responded about the server changing or additing direction as simpler.

I am only cautious about telling I do want support your both cases, because I do not know which loop control you may have been discussed already. Also, I am glad you want to support smtp I was rebuked not to consider http only.

Let assume that www.w3c.com says to redirect calls to www.w3.org and that www.w3.org says to redirect calls to www.w3c.com. What happens?

But I certainly want that that type of service (I am not really familliar with Internet protocols): is there a trick to achieve that today?

- I would love it for an application
- it would be a good case to say that OPES would make it a service rather than a trick.

My understanding of the client as part of the OPES system is because the client may interact with the OPES server. That traffic must be left open by the OPES processor and it muts have top priority.

Example: in this redirection case, the callout server sends back a question to the client: "this call will be rerouted are you OK?". The OPES may also be a gateway asking for an ID/password. Or a make a translation in an other language and to need some more information to perform (ex. the meaning of a word in a menu).

Thank you.
jfc

---