Re: Protocol next steps

2003-03-28 10:23:16

-- re-sending:
   the original posting probably exceeded list's posting size limit

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Markus Hofmann wrote:

Alex agreed to put the pre-draft ideas into the form of an Internet
Draft. Once this is done, he'll send it out to the OPES mailing
list, and the WG has to decide whether we want to adopt this as WG
document right away, or what would have to be done to adopt this as
WG document (in which case the draft might be published as
individual submission, first, and WG document later). Based on this
draft, the WG wil lthen decide on the protocol bindings.

Attached is a plain text version of the OCP draft(*). The document is
currently formated as an individual submission. As Markus has
explained above, the working group has to decide how to move forward
with it.

There are obviously many XXXs, missing and ugly parts in the draft,
but the overall shape of the protocol should be visible. I think it is
time to make this a reference point before we proceed with bindings
and with solving specific protocol issues. The predraft document I
have been working on is no longer good enough because external
reviewers/helpers do not know about it and because it is time to
document consensus.

Since this draft is not yet a product of the working group, nothing it
currently contains implies consensus. Everything is subject to a
discussion and change. I just documented what we have discussed on the
list and made several subjective decisions where some decisions were
needed to build a coherent protocol spec.

Again, we now need to decide whether the draft should be submitted as
a working group draft. If there are some modifications that must
happen first, please let me know, but let's not argue too much about
specifics until the draft is published (so that we have a clear
reference point).

Thank you,

Alex.

(*) If you prefer HTML rendering of the same draft, it is temporary
    available at http://www.measurement-factory.com/tmp/opes/