Re: Shortcuts

2003-04-11 10:09:25

It's desirable to avoid the round-trip latency whenever possible.  It
seems eminently possible and sensible to do this for SMTP.  That lets
one have an architecture with a centralized content-driven dispatcher
(OPES processor) but without round-trip latency between the OPES
processor and the callout server.

Hilarie

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 at 07:02:23 -0600 (MDT) Alex Rousskov murmured:
 On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, The Purple Streak, Hilarie Orman wrote:

 > As has been mentioned before, because friends of OPES would like to
 > deal with OPES and its callout protocol for all content
 > transformation tasks.  Just makes life easier.

 You have to provide a better (more detailed) motivation than that. In
 your specific example, sending the message to the next SMTP hop is
 actually "easier" than handling OCP. Moreover, any OPES processor that
 supports rule language would already have the functionality to send
 application messages to their next hop as opposed to a callout server
 -- it is a common case in real-world rule sets or ACLs, and we are not
 adding anything "new" here.

 Alex.