ietf-openproxy

Re: Shortcuts

2003-04-11 12:36:58

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, The Purple Streak, Hilarie Orman wrote:

I don't think any changes are necessary for OCP.  Not even "I took
care of it".  The only question is whether or not we need to
document shortcuts somewhere - ideally it would have been in the
architecture document, I suppose.  There are at least two cases for
shortcuts, redirects and cut-throughs; are there more?  Can we get
agreement on wording about when a shortcut is OK and when not, where
should we put the wording?

What would be the purpose of documenting a shortcut if no protocol
changes are required to support it? The purpose would determine
whether documentation is needed and where it should be placed, IMO.

If you want to document shortcuts (on high level) to illustrate OPES
architecture power, the architecture draft or use cases draft is the
place. If you want to document (in detail) a nice trick that may come
in handy for some, a separate document would be more appropriate,
IMO. Other reasons?

OCP Core does not seem like the right place since OCP may not be
involved in some of these shortcuts and since they might be
application-specific.

Alex.