Re: [end points comm] OPES System

2003-08-13 12:52:00

Alex Rousskov wrote:

Tracing/bypass draft. We need to define either "OPES system" or "OPES
domain" as the primary traceable/addressable entity.

That's exactly what I said - we need either one, but not both.

I have to disagree. If Disney distributes its content with the help of
Akamai, Akamai entities belong to the same OPES domain/system as
Disney entities but are not operated by Disney. In fact, from an end
user or trust point of view, Disney and Akamai are (should be)
indistinguishable in this case -- they form a single OPES
system/domain.

If Disney's (original) Web servers are operated by Akamai, they're part of the same OPES domain as Akamai entities. If they're not operated by Akamai, they do not belong to the same OPES domain.

I don't see yet why Disney and Akamai should be indistinguishable in the latter case. If something goes wrong on an OPES entity operated by Akamai, I've to turn to Akamai, if something goes wrong on a Disney server, I need to turn to Disney.

Here is where I would start:

        OPES system: OPES system is a set of OPES entities
        defined for a given application message. The formation of an
        OPES system is recursive: OPES system starts with either data
        provider or data consumer (for the given message); OPES system
        then includes any OPES entity trusted by (accepting authority
        from) an entity already in the OPES system. The trust and
        authority delegation is viewed in the context of the given
        application message. As implied by the above definition, some
        OPES entities in the system may not participate in the
        processing of a given message.

Hm... Assume a carrier A trusting carrier B. According to above definition, they both form an OPES system/domain. As such, they're identified by a single OPES trace entry. To whom would an end user turn if there're any problems?

I'm wondering whether - for tracing purposes - an OPES system/domain should be defined by trust boundaries or by operational boundaries.

-Markus