Bypassing

2003-10-01 10:15:05

Hi,

some questions about how to fill the Bypass section in the http adaption
document.

0. Information missing in other drafts?
draft-ietf-opes-end-comm-02 does not include any information about bypassing.
draft-ietf-opes-iab-02 only points out that the tracin information can be later
used to request OPES bypass.
Do we need more elaboration on bypassing in draft-ietf-opes-end-comm?

1. What to bypass?
There are trace headers OPES-System, OPES-Processor and OPES-Service.
Which ones make sense to use in bypassing?
Usually it will not be possible to bypass an OPES-Processor but is it required
to ask for bypassing of all OPES services that an OPES processor uses?
So, do we need one, two or three OPES-Bypass headers?

2. Wildcards
I guess we want to allow something like
  OPES-Bypass: *
to request bypassing of all OPES services.
Did we ever think about different classes of services?
It could make sense to allow all non-modifying OPES services, i.e. those that
do some logging/reporting wihtout touching the data at all or those that block
the complete message on policy violation (e.g. virus found) but would not alter
the page itself.
I guess due to the notification/tracing dilema in almost all cases, the HTTP
server will not know about single OPES services to bypass and if it is concerned
about OPES services it has to request bypass of all or at least of some sort of
OPES services.

Regards
Martin