RE: Bypassing

2003-10-02 01:09:06

Hi,

Did we ever think about different classes of services? It could make
sense to allow all non-modifying OPES services, i.e. those that do
some logging/reporting wihtout touching the data at all or those
that block the complete message on policy violation (e.g. virus
found) but would not alter the page itself.

Good point. I would suggest that we standardize URIs that identify
overlapping "classes" or "types" of OPES entities:
      - modifying (forwarding with modifications other than traces)
      - blocking (not forwarding)
      - reading (forwarding without modifications other than traces)
      - logging (keeping a portion of a message beyond message TTL)
      - unknown (the entity in charge of bypass does not know the
        class of an entity it forwards OPES traffic to)

More or better class names, anyone?

What about encoding changes?
Is removing/adding a content or transfer encoding a modification?
Not of the real content but we may have this as an additional class
or subclass.

 - modifying
 - blocking+encoding
 - logging+encoding
 - blocking
 - logging
 - reading
 - unknown

Does this make sense?

If yes, what if the service is of class "blocking" and the OPES processor
does the preprocessing of removing gzip-encoding? Is the OPES processor
then responsible for adjusting the class?

Martin