Re: Bypassing

2003-10-03 07:43:29

I mostly agree with Abbie's observations in that the fine-grained BYPASS features discussed earlier in the thread are not really what we need to do and too complicated. In particular, I'd be reluctant to specify classes of OPES services, since we'll never be able to predict all future OPES service classes...

If a user requests non-blocking, OPES processor needs to determine whether a "non-OPES" version is available. If yes, this version will have to be served. If not, either an error is returned or the OPES version is served.

It then boils down on how to determine whether there's a non-OPES version available, which Abbie addresses under (3) below. Couldn't we go that far and say that requests with non-blocking flag are always being forwarded to the origin server. Now, when an error comes back (because there's no non-OPES version), we could either leave it to the user to remove the non-blocking flag (if wanted), or invoke the OPES service and serve the OPES version.

-Markus

Abbie Barbir wrote:

Regarding Bypass,

I really think we should call it non-blocking, since the term bypass is
being misused.
Let us not loose sight of what is needed.

(3.3) Non-blocking: If there exists a "non-OPES" version of content
   available from the content provider, the OPES architecture must not
   prevent users from retrieving this "non-OPES" version from the
   content provider.

It is important for us to understand what this means. So here what I think

1. This is related to content modification (like image cropping, translation
etc)
2. Presentation is not the issue as long as the original content is
presented in the way that the content provider has intended.

3. It is the task of the content provider to make non-OPES versions
available, so OPES can serve them. In this case, the first OPES processor
will check the header of the message and see a non-blocking header on it, in
the simplest scenario, it will just fwd the request to the origin content
provider if the content provider allows that, otherwise, the opes version is
served. The user may get a page with missing weather info or no ads and may
be pink background, (so that what he gets...)

A user can issue non-blocking requests, but whether it is honored or not is
a function of how the content is/was or will be created and what the content
provider provides and its agreement with the OPES provider.

Looking at the bypass thread, it seems to me that we are not following what
IAB 3.3 suggests. We are not in the business of providing the user with
optional services or processors or callout servers that he/she can bypass
(or what you call class of services).
As far as our non-blocking requirements go:

1. An OPES System Must Support non-blocking
2. An OPES Processor MUST be able to process a non-blocking header
3. Non-blocking MUST be Done in-band.

So, from your e-mails, non-blocking default to a wildcard request, where
what it means is a fucntion of the agreement between the content provider
and the OPES provider.

PS: The IAB has asked us to build a house (and from the bypass thread, it
seems that you want to build a Castle).

Abbie