Re: OPES WG Future

2003-11-08 10:07:16
OPES WG FutureHi,

we should not conclude but recharter.

OCP core is a good concept and working well for the HTTP adaptation.
We will need some more time and work to polish this protocol when real products
will have collected their experience with OCP.

It will most likely show that it is faster than ICAP/1.0 in many deployments
and therefore already a valid successor.

But it can do much more which we did not yet exploit, for example,
  - adaptation of other protocols
  - agent authentication
  - transport level security

Especially I think that we should do the SMTP adaptation.
Today Email filtering is done by building a chain of MTAs which is a more
serious problem as with HTTP because every agent take over responsibility for a
message it received - it must not loose it, even if it crashes.
A callout protocol designed for SMTP would make filtering much easier,
filtering services can concentrate on pure filtering and leave the SMTP routing
stuff for other specialized programs.

Regards
Martin

  Folks,

  with all documents getting close to a stable version, it's time to
  think about our last charter item, namely

     "Consider additional OPES work such as extension to traffic beyond
      HTTP and RTSP and present new charter to IESG, or conclude working
      group."

  Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Please post to the mailing list.