Re: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-opes-ocp-core-03.txt

2003-11-26 14:50:01

Hi,

        One more issue has just cropped up while I was applying
editorial changes. It probably has status above "editorial":

        S5. Remove overlap between DIY and DWOL semantics.
            Resolve 206 response status code ambiguity by
            adding a "you can stop sending data now" message.

OCP Core defines Ignoring Your Data (DIY) and Want Out of the Data
Loop (DWOL) messages. Both are sent by the callout server to indicate
disinterest in original data (DIY and DWOL) and to indicate desire to
quit sending adapted data (DWOL only). The processor can stop sending
original data by responding with Application Message End (AME) message
with 206 (partial) status code. In case of DIY, a 206 response means
that there will be no more original data. In case of DWOL, the same
response means that there will be no more original data _and_ that the
server may get out of the loop.

The above description clearly shows the overlap in DIY and DWOL
semantics; both messages mean, in part, "I do not care about original
data". This creates problems because the two messages cannot be
combined on the same transaction (that would make 206 response
ambiguous). If they are combined, it is not clear what the processor
has to do (short to bailing with an error).

The solution is to remove "I do not care about original data" from the
DWOL logic. We need two separate messages: "I do not care about
original data" (current DIY) and "I would rather not send you original
data". Combined, the two can implement current DWOL logic, but they
are useful in isolation as well.

Finally, a "you can stop sending data now" message should be added so
that the processor can inform the callout server that the server can
quit and processor would not mind. This will remove overloading of the
206 status code we have now.

This is not a big change, but it probably goes beyond editorial status
so I wanted to post it before the deadline in case there are any
objections or improvement suggestions.

Thank you,

Alex,
10 minutes before the last call cut-off deadline!