RE: P work in new charter

2004-06-30 16:13:08

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Abbie Barbir wrote:

I agree with your orchestration example. The point here there are
other work that does that, check CDL in W3C and BPEl in OASIS.

My understanding is that CDL is a much higher-level _declaration_
language then an if-condition-then-action procedural P. CDL is also
not meant to be written by humans directly. Here is a cryptic CDL
example, FWIW:

        <choreography name="PurchaseChoreo" root="true">
          <variable name="purchaseOrderAtRetailer"
             informationType="purchaseOrder" role="Retailer"/>
          <choreography name="CustomerNotifyChoreo">
          </choreography>
          <workunit name="RetailerNotifyCustomer"
             guard="cdl:getVariable(PoAckFromWareHouse, tns:WareHouse)">
             perform choreographyName="CustomerNotifyChoreo"
          </workunit>
        </choreography> <!--end of root choreography -->

It is possible that P code (especially service configuration code) can
be generated based on CDL and other information, but other than that I
do not see a significant overlap between P and CDL.  Do you?

I am even more fuzzy on BPEL. I looked at BPEL4WS specification. It
seems to be solving a similar problem we are solving here, but from
business interactions point of view. It is very business-specific so I
am not sure we can use anything as-is. However, we may be able to use
some nice ideas/approaches.

If there is an OPES participant who understands BPEL and related
languages, please speak up and prevent us from reinventing wheels when
possible!

Thank you,