Re: P work in new charter

2004-06-29 19:26:15

Alex Rousskov wrote:

Examples of (b) would be common actions like "strip ads for user X but
only when she is surfing with her mobile phone browser Y", or "do spam
filtering for user X unless the message is from Y"; where X and Y are
parameters. I would imagine vendors and user groups might want to
create collections of such common parameterized actions. P would need
to have something like user-defined functions to support this.
[...]
The advantage is that OPES processor will only need to support one,
albeit more complex, language instead of two or three. It is not clear
to me whether we can capture both (a) and (b) without significantly
increasing P implementation complexity.

Thanks for the example, that helped. But I still look at (a) and (b) as two separate things. And having two simple languages for each of those things seems to be preferable over having a more complex language that tries to tie these things together.

I would still lean towards limiting the scope of the charter to (a). This would allow us to define a simple and efficient solution for the important problem of how to invoke services.