Re: P work in new charter

2004-06-30 11:50:19

Geetha Manjunath wrote:

* Rule Specification : The filtering services themselves would be provided by
vendors (say, virus scanners) while the configuring conditions (rules) will
be  described/specified using the 'P' rule language.

Agreed.

* Writing simple filters/actions: While modifying a message to be able to
call several commoditized filters may be one of the examples (Alex), I would
see the need for writing actions more when the actions themselves are very
simple - may be to just put some additional authentication controls onto
services, where the OPES processor would just return a 40x response.

These functions are services themselves and should be invoked by the rules, rather then trying to "programm" them in the rules.

If a function like "adding of authentication controls" is needed, a little service doing this can be written, and a rule can be specified to invoke this service.

* Writing modules in 'P':  Since a set of rules themselves may need to be
reused many a times, we may want to create customized reusable modules in 'P'

Thats sounds worthwhile to consider (but already goes beyond the charter discussion perse, I would assume).

(d) defining mechanisms by which a user can communicate rulesets to the OPES
processor.

Such mechanism is needed (one might default to existing ones), but out of scope of the WG.