Re: P work in new charter

2004-07-02 12:00:08

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Geetha Manjunath wrote:

... 3 classes of rules -
(i)   Rules set by OPES administrator,
(ii)  Rules set by Content Provider and
(iii) Rules set by the user/client
I guess the question then boils down to "who are the
targetted authors that would use P language to write rulesets?".
Clearly it is (i) but do we include (ii) and (iii) ?

Good question. I can speculate that class (ii) is as likely to be used
in practice, with time, as P itself. The "spaces" of intermediaries
and content providers seem to be moving onto each other. I am less
optimistic about (iii), but it is also possible in some automation
context (i.e., it would not be a human user composing P rules, but
a mobile phone, browser, etc., based on user/device preferences).

As far as WG charter is concerned, I think it all boils down to the
expertise within this WG. If we have an expert willing to defend
specific (ii) and (iii), we should listen and should try hard to avoid
making P difficult to use for those classes.