Re: is SMTP a candidate for OPES ?

2004-07-06 10:00:29

To follow up a bit, the judges in the ruling made very clear
that they thought the law's original wording was in dire
need of an update to deal with modern realities.   On NANOG,
there has been discussion of how router caches might
be interpreted under this reading of the law, so this
problem is not particular to OPES.  There seems to be a
fairly general recognition that this was not the intended
scope of the law.

Efforts to help get those laws updated are not in scope
for this group, though, and I encourage those interested
to seek appropriate fora for the purpose.

                        regards,
                                Ted Hardie