Re: ID Tracker State Update Notice: draft-ietf-opes-ocp-core

2004-09-07 15:22:20

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Alex Rousskov wrote:

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Ted Hardie wrote:

We did have a short discussion of the registry requirements, though, and it would help IANA if we mocked up what an entry in the registry would look like, so they can prepare the registry when it goes to them.

I would be happy to create an example, probably using a real entry from OCP/HTTP profile.

To refresh your memory, OCP Core, the IANA Considerations section, says

    The IANA maintains a list of OCP features, including
    application profiles (Section 10.11). For each feature, its
    "uri" parameter value is registered along with the extension
    parameters (if any). Registered feature syntax and semantics
    are documented using PETDM notation.

    Standards-track OCP Core extensions SHOULD use
    "http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/"; prefix for feature
    "uri" parameters.  It is suggested that the IANA populates
    resources identified by such "uri" parameters with
    corresponding feature registrations.  It is also suggested
    that the IANA maintains an index of all registered OCP
    features at http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/ URL or on a
    page linked from that URL.

Here is an example of how IANA could register a "request profile" feature described in draft-ietf-opes-http-02.txt (the unincorporated IANA Section of that draft requests such a registration).

First, IANA may put the following text and links to
http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp

    This is the master index of the IANA-registered features for
    OPES Callout Protocol Core standard
    [http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfcOcpCore.txt]

    * HTTP adaptation with OPES features
      [http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/http]

Second, IANA may add the following text and links to
http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/http

    HTTP adaptation with OPES features standard
    [http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfcOcpHttp.txt] defines the following
    features:

    * "request profile"
      [http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/http/request]

    * "response profile"
      [http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/http/response]

Finally, IANA may add the following text to http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/http/request

    This is a registration page for an OPES Callout Protocol feature
    described below.

    URI:        http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/http/request
    Name:       request profile
    Definition: see Section 3.2 of rfcOcpHttp

The above does not include "up" links and other non-essential information that IANA may want to add to these pages.

Any improvement suggestions or objections?