Re: Authorization

2004-10-22 10:19:37

On Fri, 2004/10/22 (MDT), <ho(_at_)alum(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

When we began this work, I thought that the per account customization
for HTTP was very important, but not worth screaming about.  In the
intervening years HTTP has become more important to daily life, and I
think the issue is as important as for SMTP.  I would really like to
see some ideas on how to get this specified and set into standards
as we move forward with SMTP.

I think this plays well with P rules or similar standard to express filtering rules. Most ISPs cannot offer rich customizations today because they would have to invest in a custom interface to support/maintain those customizations. If we give the world a common filtering language, the ISP can buy an off-the-shelf rules management tool and have users specify their preferences on the web (auto-converted to [P] rules that ISP's servers understand).