Re: SMTP Use Cases

2004-10-23 09:21:38

The OPES WG mailing list is *not* the place to discuss fundamental architecture/design issues of the general Internet and how the general Internet should evolve. While these discussions are important, interesting and (sometimes) fun, please move them to the general IETF mailing list.

OPES scope and architecture have been discussed a while ago and are documented in the respective RFCs and our charter. Discussions on this mailing list will be within these boundaries. More general and fundamental discussions should be move to more approriate places.

Thanks,
 Markus

jfcm wrote:

Alex,
I know that you do not understand. From the very beginning your vision of an OPES is the vision of a front-end middlebox with an OCP link to a remote server. You just explained this: the interest of that middlebox is that it can easily be adapted to any protocol. This vision is of real interest to patch protocols and to implement transitions. But it permits much more if used in a proper architectural way.

Now, you are able to understand that if what you work on is to be used in an architectural dead-end - whatever the cosmetic in describing it - you will waste your time and efforts. So the question is of importance to you.

Right now IETF is trying to understand if they are in such an architectural dead-end or not. This is plainly documented in the IAB RFC 3869 published a few weeks ago. This is plainly documented in IETF RFCs on IETF situation. This is plainly documented in the IETF debates initiated by Harald Alvestrand. This was plainly documented through ICANN early warning problem two years ago. This was plainly documented in the new economy quick blundering. This is plainly documented in the WSIS resolutions calling on Koffi Annan's experts. Always in the same way: a partial list of problems without ever considering the deliveries, the call for help to people they do not want (money and Gov), the lack of understanding of what would trigger a positive response (that deliveries would match real needs).

The IAB documents the internet problems in RFC 3869: the lack of vision, of motivation and of funding for R&D. It also gives the reasons why: through what is missing in their document (they do not even allude to mutilingualism, to user or market demand). The real internet problem is an host centric architecture which does not respond the real world needs. The real needs and interest are usage centric. The IAB is clear about it: it identifies global access to information (host application) as THE internet service. This is a 1971 need (first commercial ISP bill in Feb. 1971). There is a very long that network marketers and service developpers know this is far more complex. Users also want services and full control. But how IETF will know it without market study? The IETF is producing Ford-T cars and meets some difficulties about organizing, funding, recruiting. At the present time it tries to understand how to best organize, get funding, motivate its members. Sometimes they will consider producing Mustang cars.

This is why there is a drop in R&D and funding, why IETF audience and money drop, why Stuart Lynn had to call on Govs for ICANN, why IAB now calls on Govs for R&D, why WSIS calls on Govs for an Internet governance review (please read RFC on IETF problems). For two centuries the world has used Gov control/monopolies. The web has made believe that we could use Internet's free datagram du to the lack of State protected economical model. This has initially worked because the USG warranted it, but its interest is not in warranting and funding the world's system (the WSIS has two problems: world system's governance and funding).

The loss of interest comes from the fact that no one sees big return from investing in the internet architecture. Only bandwidth value added people who see some saving while their revenues and margins drop. This is the reason of the new economy failure. This is the reason why no one will fund you for developing OCP. This is the reason why the WG loses momentum while it works on a real key issue. The searchers and investors question is really simple "what for?".

Some have understood the solution. Many have understood how to look for it (please reread RFC 2775).

Once again, what is concerned is not OCP, but where and how to use it.

I am not interested in documenting this to IESG. We made the diagnosis nearly 20 years ago from our real life commercial success. We documented the architectural reasons of such a success. At the time we were the world leader (Tymnet) when we were poorly purchased. We quitted and disbanded. I can tell you exactly how and when our world lost 30 years. And the 1987 evening when we evaluated that there was no interest in wasting time to document the young IETF because real world and academic life, vision and budgets are so apart. The interest is that these 20 years permitted to validate and to deep our vision (through some huge success as M$ which partly used it, or some evolution such as the drop in bandwidth cost and ubiquity, but mostly in observing the problems met by OSI and then by the Internet - and the way they try to patch them, as with OPES). This is lame. Either you understand it and the opportunity is huge, or you do not want to accept it and you waste your time and energy.

Now, with the currently coming appliances hardware and FCC/Govs growing communication attitude, the future internet is at hand. It may not come from IETF nor from GPL etc. It may come from an US start-up, from a Major's understanding of the real musical market and economical model, it can come from an European workshop, it can come from a Chinese manufacturers consensus, or from an Indian engineers venture. Probably after a major collapse over a DoS, a DNS failure, a spam growth, a brilliant physing, or a real life catastrophe as Richard Clarke foresaw it, a big digital terrorist attack or a Govs fed-up at the ASCII internet US nexus (please note that I invent nothing. All this is fully documented in RFCs and in USG documents). All this will lead to competition in solutions, hence to a balkanization of the Internet (cf. Paul Vixie on the IETF general mailing list over IPv9 Chinese testing). This is why the only solution IMHO is to document Govs about the real life threats, imply them in solutions and demonstrate through real working system solutions.

In that future Internet, a distributed ubiquity of smart stand alone smart multi services $ 100 nodes over a continuity of various types of bandwidths by coopeting large concentrated operators (look at FCC policy) at a global $ 15 cost per month, the protocol will probably progressively switch from IP to something better (but compatibility will have to be maintained for a while) managed by a secure and versatile simple inter-user network operating system. OCP could be a good embryo of such an OS internal protocol.

jfc