RE: SMTP Use Cases

2004-11-15 06:27:06

jfc,

1. resuming interrupted sending. Probably several cases and ways.

I understand that this could be:
  An MTA sends a message to another MTA. Due to network problems
  the connection aborts while sending the email in the DATA command.
  "Resuming the interrupted sending" will allow to start a second
  attempt and only send the part of the message that the receiver
  didn't get in the first run?

To me this seems to require additional commands in the SMTP dialog.
Should we propose OPES use cases for SMTP additions that are not
yet defined? I think we should do better without those.

2. virtual transfers. When the same mail is sent to several
recipients, the
first copy could be transfered with meta data defining the others to
rebuild on the arriving MTA.

Agree with Tony. This is is already part of SMTP (multiple "rcpt to").

3. compression during transfer

If this should be something like a Transfer-Encoding, it is outside
of OPES. If you think about a content encoding for compression, it is
another example of case 1-6 "Format Conversion".
Do you agree?

Regards
Martin