RE: Activation points and callout modes (full consensus check)

2005-02-24 10:35:55

Hi all,

I looked up again comments/suggestions on the list in order to finish up the
summary I made and to check whether we have consensus in all points.

This is what I forget to quote yesterday:

Tony wrote on Jan 22:
However as you say it [the reply mod use case] doesn't really fit into the
OPES model because the call-forward is not a full SMTP conversation (it's a
hack),
so it's probably too much of a strain to support something that's fairly
esoteric.

and Hilarie wrote on Feb 1:
Go with 1A and 1B as MANDATORY.  Those have always made sense.  Don't
have anything OPTIONAL; if their importance becomes obvious later then
they can be added as extensions.

To me it seems that we have full consensus on this subject now.

Allow me to double check, we may be able to cross this subject off now.

In summary again:

  OPES/SMTP will handle the SMTP send/receive activation points only.
  It only handles command modification and command satisfaction.
  Email message body modification will be handled as a command modification.

  Other activation points and SMTP reply modification will be either
  handled in a later extension of OPES/SMTP or by another OPES profile
  such as OPES/MIME. We will not further handle these for the first
  version of OPES/SMTP.

Please speak up now if you have another opinion and/or think that this
is not the consensus of this working group.

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Martin