Re: 2nd S/MIME BOF meeting minutes

1997-04-15 09:02:49
On Tue, 15 Apr 1997 11:13:35 -0400  Uri Blumenthal wrote:
Because IETF has a long tradition NOT to require a technology
that is not FREELY AVAILABLE?

Eh, you mean that pgp is not FREELY AVAILABLE? I am probably wrong,
but I believed that it was??  I know, that these versions are meant for
non-commercial use - is that the problem?

What about approaching pgp.com about this as the plan seems to be with the
RSA secret code!

At least the pgp code is not secret!  The techniques are well known. Who
could prohibit a free reference implementation f.ex. outside US?  Why
could that not be freely imported to US? What is the problem in US?
RSA again?

I'm probably terrible wrong!

/Frederik

Frederik H. Andersen            Phone:  +45 42 84 50 11
Dansk Data Elektronik A/S       Fax:    +45 42 84 52 20
Herlev Hovedgade 199            Email:  fha(_at_)dde(_dot_)dk (MIME accepted)
DK-2730 Herlev, DENMARK
PGP Fingerprint:  6B BC FB 45 E4 69 CE A2  63 E1 62 1F 0C 65 C2 E4