RE: Open issues in the message draft

1997-09-17 11:38:44
From:   Paul Hoffman / IMC [SMTP:phoffman(_at_)imc(_dot_)org]

    ** signedData vs. application/mime wording**

    Section 3 talks a lot about what to do if the sender thinks that a signed
    message will go through a gateway that will separate or change the message.
    This has long been a contentious issue. Of the three implementations I know
    of, Microsoft and Netscape never use either of the two protection
    alternatives, and Deming will only send out signedData (I think).

    Minor correction: Microsoft's Outlook Express allows the user to chose
between multipart/signed and application/signedData through a configuration
option.

- Bruce Kelley - Microsoft Outlook Express S/MIME developement