RE: Open issues in the message draft

1997-09-18 16:29:21
On Thursday, September 18, 1997 2:55 PM, Paul Hoffman / IMC
[SMTP:phoffman(_at_)imc(_dot_)org] wrote:
I'm a tad confused about what you're asking. For encrypting, you have to
create a different message for each recipient. The decision of what
algorithm/strength to use is already being decided on a
recipient-by-recipient basis. Am I missing something here?

Well, this is a little complicated for some senders that can't easily
spawn n messages when an algorithm conflict occurs (we are an add-in for
mail products, so spawning multiple messages and then tracking them is a
little bit difficult).  The options that we happen present right now
are: 1. Override the encryption algorithm (pick one), or 2. Remove the
offending recipients.  Granted that we aren't the mainstream case.

The concept of spawning multiple messages depending on the different
recipients encryption algorithms seems like a good idea at first, but
the problem is that the effective encryption strength for all of the
messages is the strength of the weakest algorithm sent.  This may not be
an issue for some environments, but it needs to be considered.

I can write up language for this, if there is interest.

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060