Re: Checking abilities of ASN.1 compilers

1998-03-09 11:05:34
All,

In the enclosed message, when I said "Both toolkits support the "utf8String
[0] IMPLICIT UTF8String" as is", I really meant to say: "Both toolkits
support the "utf8String [0] IMPLICIT UTF8String" definition in which
"UTF8String" is replaced with "OCTET STRING"".

Neither SNACC nor DSET support UTF8String as a standard type.  Bancroft's
Scott recommendation for ESSPrivacyMark (below) could still be used by 1988
toolkits if they include "UTF8String ::= OCTET STRING".

- John Pawling

All,

We (VDA) use two ASN.1 toolkits: GNU SNACC freeware and DSET ASN.C v3.4.

As retrieved from the GNU server, the SNACC freeware does not support
"[UNIVERSAL 12]".  We made a minor enhancement to the SNACC freeware to
expand the UNIVERSAL values that it would accept.  After we made this minor
enhancement, then the "[UNIVERSAL 12]" trick worked.

DSET supports the "[UNIVERSAL 12]" trick as is.

Both toolkits support the "utf8String [0] IMPLICIT UTF8String" as is.

Based on our results and Jim Schaad's trouble implementing "[UNIVERSAL 12]"
(reported in an earlier message), we recommend ESSPrivacyMark should be:

ESSPrivacyMark ::= CHOICE {
   pString      PrintableString (SIZE (1..ub-privacy-mark-length)),
   utf8String   [0] IMPLICIT UTF8String (SIZE (1..ub-privacy-mark-length))
}

John Pawling
jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com
J.G. Van Dyke & Associates, Inc.