Re: Signed Label (was RE: 'Signature Purpose' attribute?)

1998-03-27 02:52:19
John Pawling wrote:
...........an important point to note is that the recipient software makes
a separate access control decision for each signedData object..........

Question:
In your view, does this mean that if the recipinet does not understand the
policy id in the eSSSecuriltylabel that he may ignore the label in the
access control decision, even though he has verified the signature of the
signedData object to which it relateds?

-----Original Message-----
From: John Pawling <jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com>
To: Bonatti, Chris <bonattic(_at_)ieca(_dot_)com>; ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
<ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Date: Thursday, March 26, 1998 6:34 PM
Subject: Re: Signed Label (was RE: 'Signature Purpose' attribute?)

Chris,

I respectfully disagree with your proposal.  The two different labels that
you require can be implemented by including each label in a separate
signedData layer of the message.  The original signer could include the
"information label" in the original, inner signedData layer.  The "system
label" could be included in an outer signedData layer that encapsulates the
original, inner signedData layer.  This is the optimal strategy because the
recipient MUST make a separate access control decision for each of the
signedData layers.  The recipient MUST process the eSSSecurityLabel in each
signedData object that it verifies.  Because the recipient will verify both
the outer and inner signedData objects, then it MUST process the
eSSSecurityLabel attribute in each of the signedData objects.  Therefore,
both the "system" and "information" eSSSecurityLabels are processed by the
recipient.  An important point to note is that the recipient software makes
a separate access control decision for each signedData object.  IMHO, that
is the primary difference between processing
eSSSecurityLabels included in layered signedData objects versus those
included in multiple signerInfos included in the same signedData object.
In
the latter case, all eSSSecurityLabels included in the various signerInfos
(that are verified) are checked as part of the same cumulative access
control decision process applied to the individual signedData object.  If
multiple eSSSecurityLabels were allowed in the same signerInfo or same
signedData, then there would be mass confusion and room for contradiction
when different labels are processed by the recipient as part of the same
cumulative access control decision applied to the individual signedData
object.  I believe that it is impractical to try to force the S/MIME
community into accepting a complicated access control decision strategy
such
as would be required to define the rules to process multiple
eSSSecurityLabels included in the same signerInfo or same signedData.

IMHO, the cost in efficiency of requiring nested signedData objects to
convey multiple, different eSSSecurityLabels is well worth the clarity
gained.

In summary, I believe that the ESSSecurityLabel should remain as is.

John Pawling, jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com
J.G. Van Dyke & Associates, Inc.
www.jgvandyke.com