Re: ASN.1-SIZE floating

1998-09-15 11:21:14
I believe the intent of using MAX as a size limit is to encourage dynamic
allocation of these fields.  If the group decides that setting hard-coded
max values is more advantageous than using MAX, then I would recommend the
following limits (these are guestimates of upper limits; the guessing part
is the disadvantage of setting hard-coded maximiums):

As long as everyone remembers that the lengths on UTF8Strings are the
number of UTF8 characters, not the number of bytes that those characters
take up, I'm happy with these replacements.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium