Re: A New Triple-DES Key Wrap Algorithm

1999-02-16 18:16:21
Good enough, although I think there are potential cryptographic
advantages to reversing the byte order as well.

Bob

Russ Housley <housley(_at_)spyrus(_dot_)com> 02/15/99 07:57AM >>>
Swapping the bytes and swapping the blocks would have the same impact as
far as I can tell.  Swapping bytes is probably easier to code, so I accpt
this improvement.

Russ

/15/99 +0000, Peter Gutmann wrote:
Russ Housley <housley(_at_)spyrus(_dot_)com> writes:

5.  Reverse the order of the four ciphertext blocks.

Wouldn't it be better to reverse the bytes rather than the blocks?  This
makes
the result independant of the block size of the algorithm (so it'll work with
CFB mode as well), and it's rather easier to code than shuffling chunks of
memory around.

Peter.