RE: S-MIME key length

1999-10-28 06:39:09
We, at Blue Cross, are using an SMTP relay with a combined S/MIME Proxy that
stores certificates, performs the encryption, signing, decryption and
validation of signatures at the proxy as the messages pass the proverbial
gate.  It attaches an explanation of the message's security status to
incoming messages.  I have attached the "alert" file itself as an example.
It explains that the certificate was not verifiable because we don't trust
Novell's root certificate yet.

So, we are eating our own dog food, and are not facing a significant
obstacle with 2048 bit keys.  We will trust the root certificate and monitor
the status of new, incoming, signed messages.  Further bulletins will follow
as events warrant.

Jon Ward
Senior Systems Analyst/Messaging Architecture
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida
Voice: +1 (904) 791-6057
Jon(_dot_)Ward(_at_)bcbsfl(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: BJUENEMAN(_at_)novell(_dot_)com [mailto:BJUENEMAN(_at_)novell(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 7:20 PM
To: dennis(_dot_)glatting(_at_)plaintalk(_dot_)bellevue(_dot_)wa(_dot_)us
Cc: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: S-MIME key length

And your signed message causes GroupWise to say, effectively, that
"dennis(_dot_)glatting(_at_)plaintalk(_dot_)bellevue(_dot_)wa(_dot_)us" is not
the same person
as the "dennis(_dot_)glatting(_at_)software-munitions(_dot_)com" that was
issued a VeriSign
certificate.

But did Communicator complain because you don't haven't added the
Novell root certificate to your cache of trusted roots, or because your
incoming mail processor modified the contents somehow, or was
there some other kind of problem?

And BTW, Has anyone notied the irony of having these kinds of problem
on this list? Maybe we should all start eating our own dog food, and
actually use the stuff we're building, on this list in particular?

This is signed with a 1024 bit key, using the same root certificate, which
however uses a 2048 bit key.

Bob

Dennis Glatting
<dennis(_dot_)glatting(_at_)plaintalk(_dot_)bellevue(_dot_)wa(_dot_)us>
10/27/99
03:34PM >>>