Re: draft-ietf-smime-idea

2000-02-23 12:19:04
All:

Paul raises some very important points. Let me share my view as the S/MIME Working Group Chair.

1.  We must have an IPR statement for this document to progress to an RFC.

2. I do not mind some justification text. Something like: "Organization who make already use of IDEA for other applications also want to use IDEA in S/MIME." But, in my opinion, the marketing hype needs to be significantly reduced. The CAST-128 document does not try to convince anyone that CAST-128 is appropriate or inappropriate for any particular group of users. The IDEA document should have a similar tone.

3. I would like this document to become a Standards Track document. The document should state the one and only way that IDEA is used with CMS. Clearly, IDEA will not be mandatory to implement, but if IDEA is implemented, then it MUST be done in the manner specified in this document. I cannot recommend that this document become a Standards Track RFC until items 1 and 2 are repaired.

Russ