RE: Border directories

2000-05-11 19:18:09
Peter,

The problem of your model is you presume two things that don't exist:
uniformity in data store behind the directory and uniformity in access
control.  LDAP exists, as does DAP (the OSI heavier Directory Access
Protocol which LDAP somewhat replaced) to provide uniformity in data access
when you know nothing about the data store, but you know what you want.
Under your model, you would have to write different HTTP applets for each
different backend.  They would need to authenticate with the back end, using
a mechanism which is proprietary.  LDAP handles the authentication, makes it
as strong (need a cert to bind) or as week (anonymous bind) as you need, and
returns the same set of data from no matter how it is stored in no matter
what database.  LDAP is not all things for all people, but it does allow
email systems to quickly access data regarding people including but not
limited to their public key.  It also allows the users to quickly find a
person's email alias and their public key and Use it to create a encrypted
or just signed message.

By the way, I can retrieve a user's certificate and any other relevant data
in about 10 lines of properly written LDAP code in either C, Perl, or Java.
Why you keep on talking about megabytes of code, I don't know.  I would
recommend you to read up on the standard and its API.  Coding LDAP is as
simple as coding HTTP.  Perhaps you are confusing the LDAP Protocol with
SLAPD, the LDAP based Directory.  While the directory is indeed megabytes of
code, the API is rather small, the relevant .JAR files for java take up a
cumulative 60 kb or so, I can't imagine the C libraries are any bigger, if
anything I would imagine that they are smaller.

I would recommend that if you feel that what you propose is so superior that
you write up some IETF Drafts and try to productize your ideas.  See how
well they sell.  If you're right, you'll make a fortune.  Lets kill this
thread as it is getting us no where.  The initial questions have nothing to
do with the use of LDAP as an API or directory access mechanism, and you
seem to be a little misinformed about what LDAP is and how it is used.

Walt Williams
TSD-Systems
Senior IT Analyst
Genuity
www.genuity.com

Please note: GTE Internetworking is now Genuity.