Re: New patent claim

2000-06-21 15:59:50
At 09:30 AM 06/21/2000 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
Someone is claiming a patent on parts of S/MIME. See <http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/HALL-SMIME>.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium
IBM's patent server says (http://patent.womplex.ibm.com/details?&pn=US05126728__):

What is claimed is:
                     1. A data processing security device comprising:

a) memory means for storing a plurality of authorized field protection introducer codes, b) means for evaluating a stream of data flowing from a source of character codes to identify field protection introducer codes within the stream of data, said means for evaluating being in communication with said memory means, said evaluating means comprising comparison means for comparing introducer codes within the stream of data to said authorized codes in
                     said memory means, and
c) means for replacing data after said field introducer codes within said stream of data with replacement characters if the field introducer codes within the stream of data do not match at least one of said authorized codes stored in said memory means, said means for replacing
                     being in communication with said evaluating means.

This doesn't seem like it applies to me. I know that message security labels have been around forever (at least as far back as X.400 1988) in the email world. It is also very hardware oriented...

Bruce