RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-x400transport-00.txt

2000-11-10 01:42:34
Hi,

Here are some comments on the following draft:
      Title           : Transporting S/MIME Objects in X.400

The comments relate to section 2.2, and in particular to the
OID for CMS objects than are MIME encoded.

The proposal is to use a CMS-defined OID to indicate an
S/MIME content type. However, would it not be better to use
an OID that indicate MIME (rather than S/MIME)?

The actual MIME type (and additional parameters) will be contained
within the MIME headers, so that it is not essential to carry the
actual type in the P1 envelope. There is very little an X.400 MTA
would be able to deduce from the P1 content type alone, without
examining the MIME headers.

However, with the more generic approach I can carry arbitrary MIME
types, including multipart/signed. Obviously, a more generic approach
is not necessarily within the scope of the S/MIME group.

Comments?

Graeme