RE: WG Last Call: cmsalg

2001-10-08 11:56:08

Russ,

I would have a strong prefrence for either 2 or 3.  (Actually 3 would be
nice since I would then have the ASN.1 for a v1 attribute certificate.)
I disagree that this is a simple editorial change as we need to get
compiles dones of the ASN.1 before it is finished and I don't want to
try that in the 48 hour editors area.  In the past changes to the ASN.1
modules have been deemed non-editorial changes.

jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Housley, Russ [mailto:rhousley(_at_)rsasecurity(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 10:50 AM
To: jimsch(_at_)exmsft(_dot_)com
Cc: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: WG Last Call: cmsalg

Jim:

As you pointed out in a message last week, the ASN.1 modules in both
rfc2630bis and cmsalg still include IMPORT statements from ITU-T
documents.  You recommended that these IMPORT statements
reference the
ASN.1 modules in the PKIX documents instead.  I did not make
this change
because there are no PKIX documents that include the definition of v1
attribute certificates.

As I see it, we have three choices:
1.  Do nothing.  Continue to IMPORT from ITU-T documents.
2.  Use PKIX for everything except for v1 attribute
certificates; IMPORT v1
attribute certificates from ITU-T.
3.  Use PKIX for everything except for v1 attribute
certificates; define v1
attribute certificates in the rfc2630bis appendix.

I prefer either 1 or 3, so that all of the IMPORTS come from
the same class
of documents (RFC or ITU-T Recommendation).

If we choose 1, then no further action is needed.

If we choose 3, then I would like to make these editorial
changes when any
other IETF Last Call comments are handled.  I consider this
an editorial
change since it does not impact any implementation.  No bits
on the wire
are impacted.

Russ