RE: WG Last Call: cmsalg

2001-10-08 11:13:59

Jim:

As you pointed out in a message last week, the ASN.1 modules in both rfc2630bis and cmsalg still include IMPORT statements from ITU-T documents. You recommended that these IMPORT statements reference the ASN.1 modules in the PKIX documents instead. I did not make this change because there are no PKIX documents that include the definition of v1 attribute certificates.

As I see it, we have three choices:
1.  Do nothing.  Continue to IMPORT from ITU-T documents.
2. Use PKIX for everything except for v1 attribute certificates; IMPORT v1 attribute certificates from ITU-T. 3. Use PKIX for everything except for v1 attribute certificates; define v1 attribute certificates in the rfc2630bis appendix.

I prefer either 1 or 3, so that all of the IMPORTS come from the same class of documents (RFC or ITU-T Recommendation).

If we choose 1, then no further action is needed.

If we choose 3, then I would like to make these editorial changes when any other IETF Last Call comments are handled. I consider this an editorial change since it does not impact any implementation. No bits on the wire are impacted.

Russ