Re: Survey about S/MIME or the use of encrypted eMails in general

2004-05-29 13:49:02

Several analysts are willing to sell you surveys regarding the use of
encrypted e-mail.  Full disclosure: I'm a contributing consultant with one
of these firms, Ferris Research (www.ferris.com).

With regard to web-based secure e-mail (as sold by Tumbleweed, ZixCorp,
Sigaba, Authentica, and others), they are probably the most commonly used
solution, though they are not, strictly speaking "e-mail".  They are
excellent for a B2C environment, but have significant issues when deployed
in a B2B situation.

Another system that is gaining popularity is domain (border) encryption
using S/MIME gateways.  This is in use today by the FDA and Pharmas, as well
as in New Zealand's SEEMail system.  In addition, the Open Group and
Massachusetts Health Data Consortium (the latter of which I also consult
for), are developing a product certification program for these.  The primary
driver for this is to allow MA healthcare organizations to have
HIPAA-compliant e-mail with business partners.

Indeed systems that require broad deployment of PKI are considered
non-starters by most organizations I've worked with.

-ben-
Ben Littauer
1 Moon Hill Road
Lexington, MA 02421