Re: Support for hash algorithms other than SHA-1

2005-06-27 13:28:56

At 9:45 AM -0400 6/22/05, Russ Housley wrote:
Section 3.4.3.2 of RFC 3851 says:

   The SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512 algorithms [FIPS180-2] are not
   currently recommended in S/MIME, and are included here for
   completeness.

I think it is time to revisit this decision. I think the standard needs to accept longer hash functions, at least with the RSA signature algorithm.

3.4.3.2 of 3851 is discussing the micalg parameter. Maybe we should instead be discussing RFC 3370, which doesn't mention SHA-224, -256, -384, or -512 at all. That is, 3851 is fine as far as it goes.